Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ah, Summer! Part Four: Cupcake Competitions


All the summer birthdays around here were in June or July, but summer is moving at a different pace than most of the year, so I've just gotten around to the cupcake photos. I hope you made it to the Second Annual StudentNurseFamily Cupcake Competition. I'm declaring myself the winner with the chocolate 'n' salted caramel cupcakes I stole from here. But I used Alice Water's chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes and mine don't look as pretty because I frosted them outdoors on a picnic table in the sun prior to the competition. And that frosting recipe.... Melt the butter? Don't do it. It cannot be correct. I say soften that butter and whir the thing up in your mixer. I melted the butter and then I had to double up the recipe using softened butter and more cocoa powder and powdered sugar. I'm not going to blame that for my too soft frosting, though. I'm going to stick with blaming the sun.

So, today was my kids' first day back to school. It was my son's first day of kindergarten. I was sure I'd cry and cry what with my littlest one going off to the big elementary school, but instead I slept really poorly last night. I had these strange dreams wherein I brought my son to kindergarten, but he wasn't my son as he is now, he was a baby, but not how my son was as a baby (come on, you know how dreams go). He was, alternatively, a big fat-armed stereotypical baby with puffy cheeks and fat, wet rosebuddy mouth wearing soft blue cordoroy shortalls and smelling like sour milk and Pampers or he was my son, but a miniature version of him like a painting from the Middle Ages where children are just smaller adults. So, all night I was bringing my baby to kindergarten and I guess I got over it. This morning I said, "Ok, I'm going now," and my littlest one barely looked up from the play-do to give me a goodbye.

No comments: