Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Kidneys, Don't Fail Me Now!


So That Class. Today the hum of the fluorescent lights combined w/ the whine from the instructor's microphone in a way that made me feel like I was going to throw up. I don't know if anyone would have noticed. We're all hypnotized by the overly wordy Powerpoint (I'll make it one word this time) slides and the information which made no sense. People tried to ask questions, but they were deflected by Confuso-instructor as she motored on and on at a pace that was too slow to render her speech into a soothing drone. That Class is Contemporary Nursing and I enjoy *not* doing the reading because it makes the mixed bag o' lectures a little more exciting. What'll it be this time: Piaget's cognitive theories? Anxiety? Or The Adaptive Exchange Model? The latter is something made up by someone at Nursing School U and is the flow chart/model that will help us to better help our patients. Arrows are pointing here and there and it's water in/ water out (or, wait, that's the fluid intake/ output we were supposed to track that led to my belief that I have impending kidney failure and, no, it's not because we're looking at diseases of the kidneys in pathophysiology right now and, all right, you don't want to hear about pee anymore) and when I asked, "What are you talking about?" to the Other Instructor Who Teaches the Class (the one who talks so fast it has become a whole new language, because, yes, the class is taught by *two* instructors on alternating days because it's not insane enough otherwise) she said, "Oh, you should have seen the other guy's theories! You'll be thanking us for our lovely theory. At least it fits on ONE PAGE." Except the other guy is not a guy she's a nun. And now that this is all clear to you (just as clear as it is to me!) I have a great muffin recipe for you. This one is soooo easy and sooo tasty! I stole it from a random web site and modified it to make it less healthy and more tasty.

Mini Apple Nut Muffins

2 grated apples
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of butter
1 tsp salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

1/4 cup of milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups of AP or cake flour
1 TBsp non-aluminum baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Spray mini muffin tin w/ oil or butter lightly.

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.

Put first 6 ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to simmer. Cover w/ lid, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the milk. Add the eggs.

Mix wet and dry ingredients.

Stir in walnuts.

Fill muffin tins w/ batter. It wont quite make 24 so put a 1/4 inch of water into empty tins. Bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes back almost clean.

I don't have a picture of them. They were eaten too quickly. Those are pumpkin guts.




2 comments:

Megan and Ben said...

Hi- love your blog, though as a student doing pre-req's for Nursing (and well over 30) I must say it gives me second thought about this whole idea (not really, I'm up for sticking people and carrying around small cups of yellow pretend-beverages). So really, are you enjoying it at all? Love the recipes too. Where are you in school?
(ps "ben" is the hubby and he's on there because of our blog, the house building one)..
good luck,
Megan

Molly said...

I'm enjoying a lot of it. I love pathophysiology, I love doing the skills, and most of the folks in the program are great. The most tiring aspects are dealing w/ things like theuniversity bureaucracy and mucking my way through some of the less focused classes. It'll get harder next quarter when we start the real clinicals!